Contrary to its usual policy, it looks like Nintendo may be boosting production on its ultra-popular Nintendo Switch console. A major hit in the US, the console is still incredibly difficult to find even months after its release. The Japanese manufacturer had initially aimed to produce around sixteen million of the consoles before the end of the year, but reports suggest that Nintendo may add a further two million units to the queue before the holiday rush.
A Change in Direction
Increases in production of hot items are unusual for the Japanese game console developer. One needs only to look at last year’s hot item, the NES Mini, as an example of how business is usually done. Not only was the console manufactured only in small batches, but it was discontinued at the height of its popularity. Nintendo’s largely been willing to let scarcity work in its favor, as has also been seen with its other recent successful console, the Wii. Actually meeting consumer demand signals a major change in policy and the possibility that Nintendo actually intends to compete with other current-gen consoles.
The increased production of the game console likely solidifies Nintendo’s faith in the portable/home console hybrid. The console giant is riding high on its recent success and a quicker production schedule likely means that an increased number of games will find their way to the console soon. While the console’s biggest hit is an in-house property, a wider user base will also be likely to bring in third-party software developers. Indeed, this push for more Switches on the market might help Nintendo regain its place in the video game market.
What the Future Holds
It’s difficult to predict what Nintendo will do next. While it does officially deny the rumors of increased production, it would make sense from a business standpoint. Should Nintendo strike while the iron is hot, it is entirely possible that the Nintendo Switch will be able to perform on the level of the Wii.
58 used from $251.73
- Introducing Nintendo Switch! In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.
59 used from $249.02
- Nintendo Switch console, Nintendo Switch dock, Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con (R), and Two Joy-Con strap accessories
- One Joy-Con grip, HDMI cable, and Nintendo Switch AC adapter
17 used from $44.99
- New fighters, like Inkling from the Splatoon series and Ridley from the Metroid series, make their Super Smash Bros. series debut alongside every Super Smash Bros. fighter in the series...EVER!
- Fast combat , new items, new attacks, new defensive options, and more will keep the battle raging whether you're at home or on the go.
- 2018 Nintendo. Original Game: Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
- Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) Content Description: Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief, Suggestive Themes
21 used from $44.99
- Hit the road with the definitive version of Mario Kart 8 and play anytime, anywhere! Race your friends or battle them in a revised battle mode on new and returning battle courses.
- Play locally in up to 4-player multiplayer in 1080p while playing in TV Mode. Every track from the Wii U version, including DLC, makes a glorious return.
- Plus, the Inklings appear as all-new guest characters, along with returning favorites, such as King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr.!
1 used from $59.99
- This Starter Pack is Perfect for first-time heroes
- It contains the game and an explorer's guide with lore and learning from the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game
- Time to explore the guide, the map, and the world of Hyrule!